Sunday, March 25, 2012

Round 2

I'm feeling relatively good on this second round of chemo. I switched the Prilosec to before breakfast, and that seems to be helping with the upset stomach. Unfortunately, I've developed an irritating sore throat. No clue of it's a cold or allergies. It is cherry blossom season...so hopefully it's just allergies. I don't even want to think about going into my possible neutropenia phase with an active viral infection. The norovirus and C-diff was enough.

It's been....interesting...losing my hair. If you've ever seen the movie "Shallow Hal," it's a bit like that. I've been forced to look beyond my external appearance and see myself as I am on the inside. It's an act that I'm not really sure I could have truly done without going through this experience. Or maybe it's something I would have never tried to do. I encourage everyone to take a few minutes and look beyond what you visually see in yourself. It's not easy.

What's more interesting is that the concept of looking beyond what I can see has extended to others as well. It has already become second nature to see others for who they are and not what they look like. I thought I was already like that, but perhaps not as much as I thought. This whole thing has been a mind warp. Maybe this chemo is doing more than just killing my cancer.

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee and I are thinking about you all the time. Your blog is amazing and inspiring us in many ways! Thank you for your posts. You are incredibly strong, brave, and an articulate writer! I will have to go rent Shallow Hal. I look forward to continuing to read about your recovery! - Jared & Bee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Shana and Jason,

    We are glad that Shana is receiving cutting-edge treatment for the lymphoma. Her treatment is very similar to my father's for leukemia. My dad received the Rituxan along with other drugs and his blood counts are now normal. My mom would tease my dad that he was starting to look like a mouse from the Rituxan. Although it is a long difficult process, it will be worth it when you are back to normal.

    Please let us know if there is anything that we can do to be of support during this difficult time.

    Love John and Kelly McShane

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was searching for transgenic mice and found your science blog, which led me to this.
    Your science blog is a breath of fresh air, and your personal blog a splash of cold water in the face.
    I wish you all the luck in the world.
    theBIOguy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you! Hang in there! :)

    ReplyDelete